SMALL INTESTINAL BACTERIAL OVERGROWTH (SIBO): CAUSES, SIGNS, SYMPTOMS, AND PREVENTIVE MEASURES
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) is a condition in which the amount of bacteria in the small intestine exceeds the normal level. The bacteria can come from the intestines or from the stomach, and they can cause problems including diarrhea, bloating, gas, abdominal pain and constipation. SIBO is most common in people who have a lot of inflammation in their intestines (including Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis), but it can also occur in people who don’t have any known diseases. There is no cure for SIBO, but treatment often includes antibiotics to kill off the overgrown bacteria and supplements that help restore gut balance.
Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) develops or occurs in one when there is an abnormal growth of bacteria in the small intestine of the human body. The bacteria that are not found commonly in the said part of the body. It is also sometimes known as blind loop syndrome. The excess bacteria that develop in the small intestine lead to diarrhoea and make a person suffer from unexpected weight loss and malnutrition. Again, this issue should not be kept away from treatment(s) else it develops other kinds of complexities and gives rise to various complications in the body.
Doctors are still not sure about what factors are responsible for the cause of the small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. But, they could relate certain factors that might be related to the growth of such a condition.
- Complications of abdominal surgeries
- Structural problems in and around the small intestine
- Certain medical conditions like scleroderma, celiac disease, diabetes, or other conditions can slow the movement (motility) of food and waste products through the small intestine, etc.
SIBO – Signs and Symptoms:
The signs and symptoms vary from one person to the other. It depends solely on the rate of the growth of bacteria in the small intestine. It also varies due to various underlying conditions that an individual suffers from. Several signs are-
- vitamin deficiencies
- You need to be moving periodically throughout the day.
- Try to avoid eating at least 3 hours before going to bed.
- Avoid eating in between meals or stop snacking between meals.
- You should follow a nutrient-rich diet.
- You should try to manage your stress level.
- It is better if you can get an abdominal (intestinal) massage.
- You should take food with safety guidelines.
If you have liked our content on Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO), kindly like, comment, and share it with your family and friends. A single help from your end might help many to fix their issue(s).
Also Read : When to see a doctor