Heart Infection: Causes, signs, symptoms, and prevention
The heart of the human body is prone to attacks by several entities like bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc at some point in time. These are irritants that weaken the functions of the heart. Also, the heart condition can worsen if not paid attention to and treated well. However, certain medications can cure infections. If the infection persists then there is a possibility that your doctor might suggest surgery. When an irritant invades the heart, the organ gets inflamed. Consequently, there is damage to the heart muscle, heart valves, inner lining, and outer membrane due to the invasion of harmful entities.
Two main types of heart infections are:
- Endocarditis: It refers to the development of infection in the lining of the heart valves. Infective endocarditis and bacterial endocarditis are the other two names for such a condition.
- Pericarditis: The heart’s outer surface is covered by a sac. When the sac inflames it is called pericarditis.
People who are older than 65 years of age, who have had heart surgery, or who use injected recreational drugs, are individuals who are much more prone to a heart infection.
Causes of heart infections
Factors responsible for such a condition are:
- Dental procedures
- Dental hygiene (Poor)
- IV drug use
- Viral Infection
- Bacterial Infection
- Parasitic Infection
- Fungal Infection
- Immune system diseases
Signs and Symptoms:
The signs and symptoms of heart infection differ from one person to the other person. Also, it depends upon the kind and type of disease. Some of the common indicators of heart infection are:
- Chest pain
- Rapid heartbeat
- Pounding heartbeat
- Dyspnea (shortness of breath)
- Night sweats
- Body aches
- Chest pain
- Joint pain
- You should avoid being in contact with people who bear viral infections.
- Get yourself vaccinated with the Covid-19 vaccine and other vaccines for flu.
- Reduce exposure to tick-infested areas or where there is a large bird dropping.
- Maintain good dental hygiene.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Maintain weight.
- Practice stress management.
If you have liked the content on heart infection, kindly like, comment, and share the content with family and friends. A single help from your end might help fix many issues.